Monday, April 14, 2014

How I Cheated at My Local 50k

The email hit me hard. My stomach dropped and I started to feel sick.

"I have a few questions for you about the stampede trail 50k race. Your answer to these questions will give you a chance to clear your name and show me your true character.  Do you think you ran the full course that day?  How many times did you run the mile loop on the farm?"

Earlier this week, I emailed a local trail runner to ask about doing an interview for my website. What I got in return was an accusatory email stating that I had not only cut the course in my first 50k race back on March 1, but possibly done it on purpose. The second part of that accusation is ridiculous if you know me at all. Why in the world would I cut the course, especially in a race that I won handily?

I was offended that I was even being questioned. Is this how you welcome a guy who is new to your state and your running community?

But then I went to my Nike GPS data and watched the little cursor move across the map showing where I had run that day. And sure enough, I HAD cut a mile loop off the course.

I didn't even notice the total mileage on my watch as I finished the race. Looking at it after I stopped running and went inside the barn to warm up, the total was 29.88 miles.
But this didn't alarm me because my watch is known to lose the GPS signal and come up short on mileage, especially out on the trail.
Meaning if I run with you and your Garmin or Suunto brand watch says 20 miles, my Nike TomTom watch might say 19.6 or 19.8 miles.
Not to mention that trail race courses can come out long or short on your GPS no matter how carefully the RD may have planned the course.

But there it was on my laptop screen (and here it is below because I can't figure out how to make my Nike GPS data public). I had only run the mile loop on the farm 3 times rather than the required 4 times. After making a quick halftime stop for a bathroom break and drink at the barn (race headquarters), I had been in such a hurry to race away from another runner, that I just plain blew past the turn for that mile loop without even realizing it.


Screen shots of my GPS map data showing how we made only 3 loops of the farm (bottom loop) rather than 4. 

The second place runner, just a few seconds behind me leaving that halftime stop, chased after me and ended up cutting the mile loop as well.
It appears that the third place runner and runners thereafter did complete the proper course. Thankfully, the third place runner was about 30 minutes behind me, so our inadvertent error hadn't changed the outcome of the race. Adding another 7 minute mile wouldn't have even come close to erasing that 30 minute deficit.

The frustrating part is that I've been walking around for over a month now totally unaware that I cut off a loop that amounts to about a mile. Nobody said a word to me after the race that day about missing that loop. No calls or emails from the RD or other runners asking if I was sure I had gone the whole distance...
The second place runner was also clueless about the error we had made that day until I got this email and then alerted him to the facts.

Meanwhile, the runner who sent the email was stewing for a month. That runner's thinking was that we had either cheated on purpose or had realized our error and were never going to admit to it.

I have asked the RD to disqualify me for not completing the course and I have offered the 3rd place finisher my medal. The 3rd place finisher responded that I had still earned the medal and he didn't want it. I'm not sure yet what action the RD will take in terms of amending the results/disqualification. Stampede 50k Results

I am including my mile splits below. The slowest miles, such as mile 16, correspond with stops at aid stations. Also, here is a link to the 2nd place runner's GPS data. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/454864948



Lesson learned. It turns out you really should study the course and know it front and back. Especially on a day where the wind is so harsh and cold that no volunteers will be out on the course to help guide you.

So we had a nice 30 mile trail run that day rather than a 50k. Still a great day on the trail, despite the -30 windchills and all this drama!
NOTE: You can read my detailed race report about this 50k race Here.  (It was written before I knew about cutting off the mile loop.)


11 comments:

  1. " I am not a runner, but I just forgot what I walked into the kitchen to do... So, I can totally see losing track of a lap. He seemed to have handled this with a lot of class and honesty. He's a keeper " - I linked your blog post on FB and this is the comment from a friend of mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of how you handled this when you finally had it called to your attention. Guess the race organizers should probably had better signage or people at the cutoffs!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got here from Ultra Runner Podcast, no idea who you are. Curious though, the post makes it sound like you're still claiming a victory because of the gap in time you had over the 3rd place finisher. I've got to imagine you'd be DQ-ing yourself, due to not completing the course, correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Mic Med, I was thinking the same.

      Delete
    2. Guys, in response to your question above: I have asked the RD to disqualify me for not completing the course and I have offered the 3rd place finisher my medal. The 3rd place finisher responded that I had still earned the medal and he didn't want it. I'm not sure yet what action the RD will take in terms of amending the results/disqualification.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an honest mistake to me and you have done everything you could to rectify the situation. The sad thing is that if somebody at the back half of the pack (like me) had made this mistake, we might have never known that it happened at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not trying to be a pain and actually just find this interesting, but what does it matter if it was "an honest mistake" or not? no matter the reason for missing a portion of a route while in a race you should be DQ'ed.

      Chad did the right thing by offering his medal and pointing out the mistake to the RD any racer in this position should.

      Delete
    2. I think his point is that character is not in question. He should still be DQed, but this should do no damage to his reputation.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Chad for responding. I agree with Jeff, and I hope my comment didn't come off snarky. Sounds like you explored the right channels, and obviously owned up to the honest mistake. Best of luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the equivalent of a golfer penalizing himself. Honesty/integrity is key!

    ReplyDelete