Monday, April 7, 2014

7 Questions with Nebraska ultra runner Pete Kostelnick



7 questions with Nebraska ultra runner Pete Kostelnick, winner of the Brew to Brew 44 miler on April 6, 2014. Pete was also the first man to run across Iowa with the RAGBRAI week-long bike ride in the summer of 2013.


Pete Kostelnick completes the Heartland 100-mile race (sunglasses and white singlet).





VITALS:
Age: 26
Born and raised: Boone, Iowa
Currently lives: Lincoln, Nebraska
Family: Married, no kids
Occupation: Accounting/Finance

Respect The Run:  When did you start running? How long have you been running ultras?

Pete Kostelnick:  I started running cross country my junior year of high school in 2003.  I ran JV the entire year, and then varsity my senior year, never a very serious runner.  Funny thing about Boone High is my fellow classmate Danna Herrick (Kelly) is an olympic marathon qualifier, good friend Logan Gonzales was a 800-1600m repeat state champ who then ran at Texas, and there have been several state champs in CC and track since my time (Brogan Austin, Chandler Austin, Albert Meier). I quit running from '05-'08, and ran my first marathon in 2008, and first ultra in 2011 at Brew to Brew.

RTR : Congrats on a big win on April 6 at the Brew to Brew 44 mile ultra in Kansas City! What kind of strategy or pacing got you the win this year? Looking back at results I see you have run Brew in the past but never won the race...

PK: I went out easy like I always do for this race, which is probably a smart move in itself.  Realistically, I probably went out slow (~8 min pace) since it's still dark at 6 AM, and the course can get you lost if you aren't careful and navigating with others.  I went out with several guys who had never run it before, so I was the one who knew the course. Pretty soon, at mile 15, I noticed I was in a pack of four with an "older" guy on my tail.  Brew to Brew has a 10 min handicap for each age group starting at 40 and increasing on up, so I freaked out a bit knowing I hadn't gained any time on someone who had 10-30 min of age grade to work with.  So honestly, I started to push the pace closer to 7:15 min miles from 7:45 min miles in hopes this guy would stick with me and have to walk later, where I would gain my time (ultra running isn't always a friendly sport).  My goal was a 7:30 pace overall, with negative splits, which I did just barely. That is about the time my neighbor, Ryan Regnier, ran in 2012 when he got 1st place and I placed 3rd (we didn't know each other until a year ago).  So I just had to beat his time, right?  I've placed 2nd or 3rd all three years I've run it, so I wanted to get over that hump this year.

peteb2b
Kostelnick winning Brew to Brew on April 6, 2014. 

RTR: What does your race day nutrition look like? breakfast? how much/what form of calories taken on the run?

PK: I usually eat a breakfast of oatmeal or a bagel and banana before a race.  This morning I went with a donut and Clif Bar since they were at the gas station.  I used to fill up to the max before an ultra distance race, but lately I've tried to limit my calories, and ensure that they come 2 hours before the race so I can take a Vespa pouch 30-45 min before the race without a full stomach to optimize fat sources of energy.  I ate just under two Clif Block packs along the way, and that was it for eating.  I had some Tailwind mixed in with my water for the last 14 miles to replenish some sodium.

RTR: How do you recover from a race like Brew? (days off, compression, ice baths, etc) How long to get back into normal training mode?

PK: Usually I only take a day or two after Brew to Brew--it's an odd distance where you don't push the pace too hard, but don't really break down the muscles like a 100 miler.  I don't have any recovery traditions, other than letting the legs rest until they crave some miles.

RTR: What does a typical week of training look like for you building up for a race like Brew? (Mileage, any hard workouts, etc.)

PK:  I've been doing more 5 - 10 mile races this year than I typically do, so I made sure to mix in a couple 30+ mile easy runs in March, with the faster runs saved for weekend races.  Coach Will Lindgren (Nebraska Run Guru Elite, www.rungurusays.com) got me motivated and in shape earlier than I thought was possible in January after taking a couple months off.  Say what they will about his (Lindgren's) ability to stir the pot, he's the best running coach in Nebraska by far.  I've been getting in 80-100 miles per week consistently since February.

RTR: What is your goal race for 2014 and what specific preparation will that require?

PK: Badwater 135 is the ultimate goal.  I also want to do well at the Lincoln Marathon in May and the Superior 100 in September, but they're all completely different mindsets and strategies.  For Badwater, I want to see if I can hang with a big name or two.  I don't really know what my training for that will look like yet, other than a few June Saturday runs where I'm wearing a hoodie, winter hat, and 100 oz camelbak.  I've had the benefit of running two of my hundred mile finishes with Cath Todd, the lady's Badwater winner last year, so I may need to pick her brain a bit more before then.

RTR: What are your favorite shoes for training and racing? What other gear is a must for "going ultra"?

PK: Brooks Pure Grit (2's)--I run in these things every day from 1 to 100 miles on any surface.  They flex well to give you a natural landing and push-off, but still provide great support.  If Scott Jurek wears them, they must be perfect, right?  The 3's (2014) feel a little narrow for my square feet, so I'm not sure if that's psychological or not.  For ultras, my must-haves are Body Glide, handheld bottle (50 oz camelbak if > 7 miles/1 hr between aid stations), Vespa, Tailwind, Clif Blocks, and Jolly Ranchers.  Salt is important, but I try to get it through more natural sources than pills.  I also try not to touch any "sandwich" type food for 50 miles or less, but have noticed I need "real" food past my 100k plateau.  Every runner is different, though.  I know some people who don't eat at all during a 100 miler.

RTR: Thanks for your time and have a great year of running!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Pete! Great job "getting over the hump" and taking home the win!

    I enjoyed reading the profile for someone that I've run with out on the trail.

    Hope to see you at the Lincoln Marathon.

    Tad

    ReplyDelete