Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Morning 14-miler: Lost at Wilderness Park

I've been here in Lincoln for about 6 months now. I run the Wilderness Park Trails 3 times per week or so. I even won a 50k on these trails on March 1 in frigid temps (belated race report coming soon) but I found out today that I don't know all the trails.
I got adventurous today and went west then north out of the main Wilderness parking lot on S 14th near Rokeby Road and I ended up all turned about 5 or 6 miles north of there. I didn't panic, but I started to wonder if I could make it back down to my car in time to get my 5 year old from preschool in time. Samson goes from 9-11.30am so this is my main weekday running time.
I knew I was west of the creek and wanted to be east of it....so when I saw a dry creek bed I slid down about a 20 foot high bluff which was just loose dirt and got myself down to cross the creekbed. Turns out that creekbed crossed me over to an island and didn't get me anywhere. Scrambling back up the bluff and onto the trail again was my strength workout for the day.
Proof I had fun today--mud-caked Skechers Go Run Ultras (Review Coming Soon).

I followed the trail around and eventually spotted a road. It turns out I was near Old Cheney Road and just east of Hwy 77---on the western edge of Wilderness Park. Now I know. Found my way back across the creek on Old Cheney and back down to my car just in time to pick up my little guy.
This was way easier mentally than 14 miles on the road. It turns out being lost is a great way to pass the time. Instead of thinking "oh man, my legs are tired today. how much longer is this run?" I was looking for a solution to get back to a trail I knew without going to plan B, which was a WET creek crossing in 34 degree temps.

This is me post-run, relieved I found my car again.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe we need to implant one of those chips so we can find you no matter what!

    ReplyDelete